Do you think Monsters exist? Most of you will say no, in fact, you will say you don’t believe in this. But it does exist. Let me make it clear.
Hurricane, a deadly storm, also known as “one-eyed monster.”
As whenever it hits any area, it takes away millions of valuable lives and washes away their belongings. Moreover, this deadly storm does not only affect an individual, but it is also a significant threat to the economy of a country.
It is impossible for mankind to resist the storm, but in this modern world, we have the blessing of technology. And, through this advancement, at least we can protect ourselves and lessen the damage knowing what we should do and not do before, during, and after a hurricane.
Today, I am going to provide you a clear concept about the three phases of a hurricane.
What Is A Hurricane?
Before jumping into the main topic, let’s give a brief description of a hurricane and how deadly it is.
Not all storms are a hurricane. Hurricanes are a kind of storm that occurs over tropical or subtropical water and whose maximum sustained wind speed goes beyond 74mbp.
The storm is so deadly that it can take away millions of lives within a blink of an eye and wash away all belongings. Hurricane does not only harm individuals but also affects the economy of the country.
What to Do Before A Hurricane
The people of this modern world are blessed with different innovations that can alert us from any natural disaster.
Beforehand, we can get information about hurricanes through TV or radio or through a phone that helps us to prepare ourselves from being washed away by the storm.
For saving ourselves along with our belongings, we need to know what we should do before a hurricane and the points are given below that should be followed if a storm is forecasted:
- First of all, have to leave the flood-prone areas or mobile homes and take shelter in any safer place.
- Things that might be blown around easily like the garbages, plywood, etc. should be moved to a safe place otherwise these things can hurt people and destroy other belongings.
- The dead branches and trees are to be trimmed so that it does not fall on any other’s house because of the heavy wind.
- checkA first aid box is to be prepared with all the necessary things in case of an emergency.
- checkDry foods or non-perishable foods, water bottles, battery-powered flashlights should be kept in stock which might help during or after the hurricane.
- The windows need to be covered by permanent storm shutters to protect the windows from breaking.
- Straps or additional clips need to be installed to secure the roof from any damage.
- Transportation needs to be arranged in case of evacuation.
- Unplugging the electrical equipment for avoiding further damage is essential.
- The radio should always be charged, and the evacuation instructions given by the government or any NGO should be listened and followed carefully.
What Not to Do Before A Hurricane
If anyone hears about the hurricane, he/she will panic, and that is obvious. But this is the thing not to do before a hurricane.
When you hear about a storm approaching, you cannot panic. Otherwise, you won’t be able to save yourself and loved ones from the disaster.
So, before hurricane, you cannot panic and should not mess things around and need to keep calm.
What to Do During A Hurricane
If hurricane strikes at an area, immediately you need to do the following steps:
- One should not definitely step out of the house as the maximum sustenance of the wind is a lot more than you can handle.
- The windows and the doors should be shut down and need to stay away from them.You will need to find a safe space and take shelter there until the situation comes under control.
- Do not touch the electrical appliances.Even the computer or mobile phone can be dangerous at that time.
- checkIf you lose electrical power, immediately turn off the air conditioner, heater, water heater to reduce the damage.
- checkThe radio should be kept on constantly and need to keep updates about the surrounding.
- Keep your pets inside the home and take care of them so that they don’t go outside.
In spite of following the above steps, sometimes still, it might be dangerous to stay at home. At that, it is wise to evacuate. One should leave in the following conditions, if:
- The authority says that the place is not safe at all, one must evacuate.
- You live in a temporary structure like the mobile home, it is wise to leave the place no matter how stable your home is.
- You live in a floodplain area or on a coast, you need to leave the place immediately to reduce damage and to save your life.
- checkIf you live in a high-rise building, the winds are much stronger there. So, you need to move to a safer place.
It is not easy to keep calm and move during the hurricane. If you cannot move to any other place, you need to find a safer place for yourself and take shelter there until and unless the situation comes in control.
What Not to Do During A Hurricane
So far, I have provided some notions on what one should do if a storm strikes in an area but there are some things that one should avoid “during” a hurricane. For instance:
- Don’t lighten up candles if the power goes off and the electrical appliances must be avoided.
- The generator must not be connected directly if the electricity goes out and fuel or petrol should not be used.
- During a hurricane, one should not use charcoal and should not make any arrangement to cook food.
- checkThe windows should not be taped as this can’t withstand the heavy wind. Moreover, it’s hard to remove.
- checkDriving through the road during hurricane should be avoided for the sake of your own lives.
- The metal fences might be in touch of electrical wire. So, you should not touch the metal fences after the storm.
- One should not stay in places if the authority orders them to leave, i.e., if evacuation is ordered, they should not live in that place.
- Stay far away from windows.
What to Do After A Hurricane
The heavy wind and rain of the deadly storm hurricane might pass, but the danger might exist after that. So, it’s very important to be vigilant even after the storm and one needs to keep in mind the followings:
- If you have evacuated, then you need to return home after the authority declares the area safe but you have to take only those routes that are told to use.
- After returning to your place, it is very important to inform the authority and tell about your damage so that they can come to help.
- The radio should be turned ON always for any local emergency or to hear from the authority constantly.
- checkDuring the storm, if the power cuts off, then it is wise to return home and do maximum work during the daylight so that the flashlights are not wasted and can be kept for nights.
- checkThe power companies or the electrical authority need to be informed as soon as possible in case of any electrical hazards.
- If you smell any gas, then don’t use the gas stove or light matches or touch any electrical appliances to avoid any danger.
- If any electrical damage is seen then immediately turn off the main switch of the electrical board and inform the authority.
- The wind of hurricane can mess up everything, and there might be harmful chemical in the floor. So, you need to be careful of that, and it is better to wear some protective cloths like gloves, a hard-protective cloth for the time being.
- Both the wild animals and the pets are disoriented after a natural disaster like the humans. You need to save yourselves from them, and if possible, help them out.
- Last but not the least, you have to be careful about further electrical or fire hazards.
What Not to Do After A Hurricane
There are some things that you need to avoid after a hurricane hits an area. Like:
- While driving, do not use any watery road because that might be dangerous as there will be a chance of slipping anytime.
- After the storm, do not move here and there after the daylight.
- Don’t eat any food after returning home without checking and it is better to throw the cooked or any perishable food.
- checkDo not turn on the air conditioner or the heater immediately after the storm.
- checkIf one stays in a floodplain area, one should not move there until the authority declares it safe.
After reading the whole thing, it’s very clear that you need to be careful not only during a hurricane but also before and after it.
As it is a deadly storm, it can take away your lives or put your life in risk if you are not careful enough and handle the situation reluctantly.
Without getting panicked, plan accordingly and be careful of the above steps, stay safe, and overcome the storm if you ever face it.